Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reservations at Dungeness Spit

Dungeness in February

The summer is set. I just received my confirmation for our July trip to the Dungeness Recreation Area on the Olympic Peninsula. While I know some people like to fly by the seat of their pants, and at one time I would have too, but these days I can’t imagine traveling into unknown territory, boys in tow, without a confirmed place to pitch the tent.

Reservable sites at Dungeness are new. Thank you Clallam County! They don’t have an on-line reservation system like Washington State Parks, but you can mail in a reservation, requesting your preferred site. The turn around was fairly quick – i got my confirmation about a week after I mailed in my reservation request. They do have a function on the website that allows you to check which sites are available on the days you want. However, even after checking their availability list and putting three alternate sites down I still didn’t get any of the campsites I requested - so don’t get your hopes up. But still I am grateful that at least we got one and it’s NOT next to the toilet – phew!

Dungeness Recreation Area - Info and Reservations

,

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a favorite campsite there? Also, are there any areas we should avoid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going for the first time in the second week of july and will report back then but even though I agonized over which sites to list on the reservation request they ended up just assigning us one anyway. Some of the really appealing sites were the ones that faced the water, but these seemed to edge a high bank that borders the beach - having not been there to assess it - i couldn't determine if it was a hazard for our two 'explorers'. I opted for potentially less scenic but also less risky sites which faced inland. There is so much to do on the Olymipc Penninsula - we can't wait to go! When are you planning on going?

    ReplyDelete